my views on vulnerabilityI first found out about Maya Angelou the summer of my freshman year at college (sic ’em bears!), and the more I learned about her, the more my respect for her grew. She had endured a life of pain and suffering and still she managed to accomplish so so much – enough that even if she had been born with a silver spoon in her mouth and had had a nice cushy life (can you tell that I am talking about myself? ha ha) it would still be impressive. Anyhow, here’s a collection of some of the genius that has come out of her mouth (or her pen):
- ‘Love life. Engage in it. Give it all you’ve got. Love it with a passion. Because life truly does give back, many times over, what you put into it‘
- ‘Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it‘ – Amen!
- ‘Nothing will work unless you do‘ – Passion plus action really does equal miracles.
- ‘I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it‘
- ‘The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them‘ – I am a living testimony that this always winds up being for the best.
- ‘Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option‘ – This is something that I need to meditate on. Not quite sure how well it plays with my views on vulnerability